Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Those who have done shows before know how difficult setup can be. The Smithsonian show is a whole different animal. showing up on time wasn't important we waited in a line of other vehicles that were waiting for a spot on the loading dock. We were number 14. It took 2 hours to get our spot at the dock. they all seemed pretty impressed with my trailer driving skills. we borrowed a cart from one of the other artists that I helped unload. The booth was on the opposite end of the building from the loading dock so we spent a an hour and a half pushing carts full of stuff to the booth. It set up quickly we painted the repaired section of the booth and had lunch. After lunch we put the lights up and the work and everything looks great. satisfied after a 12 hour day we headed back to the hotel, after a few wrong turns we found a grocery store and got food. while trying to follow the directions and failing again a wrong turn put us right in the parking lot to our hotel. I am sleeping with my dinner on my pillow hoping some of it gets in my mouth. Brenda is already sawing zzzzs. I will upload some pictures when i can remember the card reader.
Posted by Tim See at 7:31 PM
After one of the most frustrating days of my life things are looking better. Brenda and I got up early and found a home depot we got some tools brenda had the depot guy cut some wood. With that and a whole bunch of screws and nails we got the booth back together. We did very well considering 18 hours before shards of a booth lay strewn on the shoulder of 81 after jumping ship at 65mph. I suggest doing all projects in the home depot parking lot.
Posted by Tim See at 7:08 PM
Yes it is a word and my experience yesterday confirms it. To start, it was raining.. so we were going to need tarps for the booth while in the truck, not a big deal. I forgot the rolling cart @clayscapes so went there early. No cart, the Reeldeals people must have used it and took it with them. I would pick up another one when I went to get the tarp. Got to parents house to pick up booth. One section did not fit and i had to take the tailgate off. No biggie. Mom dug up some daffodils to put in the PLANT-A-TIONS because the grass seed i planted rotted and it smelled like vomit. Booth all tarped and ready to go.
ON THE ROAD
Not a mile down the road the tarp gets all flappy. I fixed it. Another mile - flappy again and i remember i forgot the paint. Fixed the tarp with more bungees from the trailer and headed back to my parents. Got the paint, tarp was ok. Feeling good despite leaving 4 hours after planned. Get on 81 and after reaching 65 the tarp decides to jump ship. I then removed the tarp and all things holding the tarp on. Get back on the road. 20 min later, I look in the rearview and I see one of the booth sections prepare for take off... and launch. we were on a stretch of r81 with a large field. the wind was very strong and blew a whole 1/5 of my booth out of the truck into the air and thirty feet off the shoulder. Upon impact it exploded along with the shelves for most of the booth that were stored inside. It looked like a cardboard elephant was hit by a truck and was bleeding plywood. well after much swearing, Brenda calmed me down enough to get the booth parts back in the truck (pouring rain) and we head off looking for tiedowns. I found a NAPA and across the street some parking. While crossing from the gas station parking lot I was hit by a silver sedan. It didn't knock me down but it was pretty scary. The napa had tie downs though. YEAH!
And Wendy's burnt my chicken. we got to the hotel @11, long day and today i get to fix the booth or at least try.
Posted by Tim See at 4:50 AM
Sunday, April 12, 2009
My marathon is nearly over, then the race begins. My booth will be finished on tuesday and it looks fantastic if I may say so. It feels great to have a dedicated indoor booth that can make it at the fanciest shows. The work has been a struggle. Despite two months of testing clays and glazes, firing after firing of the chosen clay and glazes, there are still surprises. Expectations and clay do not mix. The finished work is better than what I can do on a regular basis. The next year will be spent attempting to recreate the best aspects of the newest batch of Dragon Wells Steam Works pottery.
I will be shooting a bunch of pictures this next week when the final prep of the pieces is finished. Some will be posted here, others on my Flicker or on my new website Timseeclay.com. And if I have some time I will be adding some pieces to my Etsy... yeah with one week before the Smothsonian I should have all sorts of time.
Posted by Tim See at 5:48 PM